One of the most popular articles I’ve shared with long distance grandparents was called ‘What Will My Grandchild Remember?’ written by Paula Span from the New York Times.
In the comments section of the article people wrote about how their grandparents made them feel: safe, cherished and unconditionally loved.
Many reminisced about what their grandparents said to them – whether it was a funny saying or words that made them feel special.
And so today I want to focus on the simple things you can say from a distance that can have a huge impact. See the list below for positive statements you can say, write, email or text to your grandchildren of any age.
Here are a few ways to share these words to make them a little more fun for younger grandchildren.
- With a sharpie and a piece of printer paper, make a sign with one of the statements, take a picture of yourself with the sign and then mail the picture to your grandchild.
(For extra simplicity, try out TouchNote – an app and website where you can send personalised post cards to your grandchildren using photos from your phone or computer)
- The next time you send off a letter, a birthday card, a care package or a book/magazine – pop a sticky note inside with one of these statements on it. It’s a way to make the words stand out a little more.
30 Positive Things to Say, Write, Email or Text Your Grandchild from a Distance
- My world is better with you in it
- I think about you when we’re apart
- You make a difference in my life
- I love being your Grandma/Grandpa Nana
- I believe in you
- It’s good to be curious
- You are important to me
- I’m grateful for you
- You have great ideas
- I appreciate you.
- I admire you.
- Don’t give up.
- Your ideas are great.
- You did that so well.
- You make me smile.
- You make my heart full
- That’s a great question
- Never stop trying.
- I’ll always love you.
- Your ideas are really interesting.
- That sounds awesome, can you tell me more?
- I’m happy to talk with you.
- I’m proud of you.
- You have an awesome imagination.
- You are so good at solving problems
- I really want to hear what you have to say.
- You’re the kind of friend I would’ve liked to have at your age.
- Your ideas are so creative.
- Thanks for helping me.
- It’s fun to do things with you.